Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday's Muse: What a Gal!

Surprised to see me? Yeah, I know, it's been a while. I'm bringing back the Muse (and the blog) out of retirement thanks to Jeff who introduced me to a great song. (I'm not going to do the meme thing, but feel free to join in or borrow.)

Here's what's very cool about this tune: all the instruments are vintage, so are the mics
and the recording equipment. Which is what gives "North Side Gal" a truly authentic funky 50s swing.

"North Side Gal," JD McPherson
Not surprisingly JD is being compared to Johnny Cash and a young Elvis thanks to his upbringing in rural Oklahoma and an affinity for American roots music. Every 10 years or so, this sort of song comes back in style (remember 1997's "Zoot Suit Riot"?) but JD tackles it without any slickness or forced irony. Try to get this one out of your head. Impossible.
Be sure to check out JD's latest album and more videos.

What's inspiring you?

1581884212_57276dd550_o

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Welcome back Robin! Thanks for sharing JD's video. I love music, all kinds of music and I am loving this song.

So what is inspiring me....some of the awesome photo blogs that I have recently discovered. There are some amazing women photographer bloggers out there!!

Sprite's Keeper said...

Welcome back! Missed you!
You know you're going to see this song make the rounds on Dancing With the Stars, they just love the vintage sounds on brand new tunes. :-)

Andrea said...

Agh! She blogs! I've missed you. I have no comment either way on the tunes. It's nice to see you though!

I'm in a new spot: www.thebloggingmama.com

Captain Dumbass said...

How awesome is that? And welcome back, stranger.

Lizzie said...

awesome! thanks for sharing and welcome back! i took a LONG break, felt good to not blog, i had to wait till it felt good to come back :)

Erica said...

I am loving this song! Welcome back!

affordable insurance

tiarastantrums said...

hey chickie -

how is your summer going? hope you are having a fab summer with your men!!

I miss you! come to chi town