Monday, February 24, 2014

It's a Rap!

Isn't Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show" off to a really good start? His obvious love of music is one of the reasons I like him so much. One of my favorite sketches is his "History of." (No surprise there) So clever and funny, and somehow Jimmy manages to keep it fresh even after many a redux. (As for Justin Timberlake, he needs to forget about becoming a  Big Movie Star and stick to comedy. He'd be a much-needed and great addition to SNL.) 

Now, rap isn't really my thing. (Have I mentioned that before? Maybe a little bit here.) So I was pretty surprised when I knew almost all of these songs:


"The History of Rap Part 5," Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake

Another great thing about Jimmy Fallon: He's able to tap into the things you didn't realize were buried deep in your consciousness. By the time they got to "Walk This Way," you were busting a move. I know you were.

And speaking of busting moves, there's this:


"Rapper's Delight," Brian Williams courtesy of Jimmy Fallon

Not to get all technical and ruin the genius of this clip, but... The researcher in me can't help but wonder how much work this was! I hope the show's writers have a magic turn-TV-newscaster-into-rapper translation program or at the very least a good voice recognition video search program. (You: Buzz. Killed. Thankyouverymuch.) My second thought: Wouldn't it be hilarious if Brian "rapped" something a lot more hard-core? Like "Straight Outta Compton"? But Jimmy already beat me to it. Of course.You can watch that one here.


 

1 comment:

Andrea W said...

I haven't watched any late night shows in years but that rap news clip was awesome. It must have taken forever!