Saturday, March 8, 2014

Monday's Muse: Spinal Tap Turns 30!

There aren't many movies I've seen so many times I've lost count, but This Is Spinal Tap is one of them. Over the years, I've had the chance to introduce it to several friends which is always fun. And it's also having a big anniversary; the coolest, most quotable mockumentary around just turned 30. (Which is shocking because everything about it, from its hapless humor to the reality-TV style shoot, holds up amazingly well.) You don't need to be a music fan to appreciate the genius driving this movie. In fact when it was released, many people even didn't realize it was a parody.

There are many things to love about Spinal Tap but my favorite scenes are the ones based on rock and roll reality. Like this:



This Is Spinal Tap, "Hello Cleveland!"

Yep, the Tap getting lost backstage was inspired by my boo, Tom Petty. Apparently he and the 'Breakers aimlessly wandered the bowels of a concert venue, stumbling upon an indoor tennis court instead of the stage. (Hello Cleveland!) Cool fact: that's the very real Bo Diddley giving the band directions in the movie. The music legend is one of several great cameos.

If you've never Spinal Tap, please, please go rent it now! And don't forget to turn it up to 11


What's inspiring you?

1581884212_57276dd550_o

1 comment:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

You're back!!! And I'm late. Ha!

I love "Spinal Tap" too. I haven't seen it in years now, but seen it often enough in the past to last a lifetime. Every time I see Michael McKean I think of it. And he's everywhere.

HI!